Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Okay, I lied...

I am about to review a book (yes, I see the irony).  In my defence, I figure if I'm reading books to learn about becoming vegan I should share this information.

Forks Over Knives:  The Plant-Based Way to Health (by Gene Stone, Dr. T. Colin Campbell, Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn Jr.).  The hook:  What if one simple change could save you from heart disease, diabetes, and cancer?  

Some highlights:
  • A plant-based, oil-free diet will not just prevent heart disease but can even reverse it.
  • For every three additional servings of fruits and vegetables you eat per day, your risk of stroke is reduced by 22 percent.
  • Patients put on a low-fat, plant-based diet experience greater improvement in their diabetic condition than those placed on a traditional diabetes-management diet, which continues to allow meat and dairy products.
  • Plant-based foods are filled with nutrients that can fight cancer; eating these foods can help your body repair mutated cells, or cause death of the cells, reducing the risk of developing cancer.
  • Cooking spray is 100 percent fat no matter what the label says.
  • A single hamburger may contain meat from hundreds of animals.
  • A meat-centric diet is responsible for the emission of more than seven times as much greenhouse gas as a plant-based diet.
  • The meat industry causes more water pollution in the US than all other industries combined.
Besides endorsing the health benefits of a plant-based diet, the book looks at the tolls of factory farming, fisheries depletion, soil erosion, and other animal-related and environmental topics. 

I didn't realise when I ordered the book that there were recipes included (approximately 70 percent of the book) and tips for transitioning.  I particularly liked this section as it acknowledged the fact that "changing your diet - whether that means starting on a new path of plant-based eating, simply cutting back on meat and dairy and adding more plant-based foods, or perhaps refining your habits to eliminate processed oils - takes commitment and dedication".  Many of us need to take baby steps before we can take a giant leap forward.

I learned a lot from this book.  I have no idea if all the facts and figures are reasonable or not, but I'll keep reading and investigating in an attempt to provide myself with a better lifestyle.

To view the Kindle edition of the book click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment